Friday, July 04, 2008

the body / finger conection

Start at the begining

About a day after surgery I started tying up my elbow with a belt. It worked pretty well as a makeshift sling, I could do that even though my arm was encased in tape. So, all in all, the worst part was sleeping. Anyone in my family will tell you I am an active sleeper. My sisters used to fight over who had to sleep with me on vacations. We propped up pillows and did our best. I still feel sorry for Tim, as heavy a sleeper as I am, he can't hardly make himself sleep, especially if he thinks I might need something. He was up with my every move.

Tim was terrified I would fall and didn't want me alone if possible. So as he began to go back to work we got me a sitter for most of the first 2 weeks. Mom came and brought puzzles from Grand mother (thanks for thinking). Amber came for a few days, with a list of things you can do with one hand:

crafts
Experiment with makeup
coloring
go to Barnes and Noble
Make up songs
Play speed - but I can only use one hand too
Make up an answering machine message
starring contest
basket ball with the trash can
Bottle cap hockey
make dialog to tv
jenga !
ad lib
balance pillow/head or pencil/nose

WOW who'd have thought. (Yes, I kept the paper.) One of the highlights of her visit was throwing popcorn into each others mouths on the couch. It really was histerical, I found kernels for weeks, and of course friends came too.

We had a check up at about 1 week after surgery to decide how soon or how much I could be cut apart. Off came the tape. I was really glad I am not a man. It really is amazing how red one can get, I can't imagine pulling hair out along with it.

More

No comments: