Saturday, June 21, 2008

Surgery 3

Start at the Beginning

This surgery was at the Plastic Surgery, Surgery Center. Much more user friendly. they put me in a room, with walls, at the beginning, and Tim stayed in there until they brought me back to that same room. Much less stress on him as well. I don't know why they don't do that everywhere.

After surgery I woke up taped from my navel to my collar bone and all the way around my back. Yes, tape. They had cut a flap from the underside of my breast, laid it over my middle finger, sewn it down and taped anything in the vicinity to my body. Padded in crucial places, but all tape.

We were out really quick. Tim wrapped me in my new Dress Barn wrap and took me for donuts on the way home. We have a great relationship with the Donut Girls. Thus started the 3 weeks of slightly cocked eyebrows and a lot of remarks like:
"What?"
"Na uhh."
"Your kidding."
followed by me lifting my shirt enough to show my belly button hiding behind a curtain of tape. Thankfully the wrap we bought kept those to a minimum, from strangers at least.

Apparently this way of grafting is the oldest one around. The story goes that the first plastic surgery was done on a man that needed a new nose, so they cut a flap from the top of his elbow and sewed his arm/elbow to his face. Well, I suppose it could be worse.

Are you holding your elbow to your nose?

More

No comments: