Friday, July 04, 2008

The art of a bandage

Start at the Begining

I don't think they train Dr's how to bandage things after they work on them.

My Dr decided I was not ready to be cut apart yet. He cut about one third apart and taped me back up again. Yipee. In the bandage department my Doctor certainly seemed a bit inept; not to say incapable, I was certainly sterile but It was an adventure. I didn't feel very secure in the first bandage. the second was worse. I suppose you can get things a little tighter and secure if you are not looking your patient in the face or listening to her bark at you.

We all did our best but I was really wiggly in there. A couple of day's later I was sitting on the couch wiggling and... whoops, wait a minute, did I? "Oh Crap. Tim, the end of the pin in my finger just fell off."

The pin looked a lot like a thumb tack. We have all had a time when we went to pull a thumb tack out of the wall and the plastic part came but the pin stayed - Well, that is what happened. I could feel the plastic part rolling around in the spaces of the bandage and began to get really concerned about the metal end scratching me. Great, what next. We called the plastic surgery resident on-call and it was one of the surgeons I had seen before. I explained the situation and he tried to convince me I didn't need to do anything about it, until I told him I was afraid I would impale myself with the pin. So we agreed to meet at the ER.

More

No comments: