Monday, October 29, 2007

Table Saws will cut more than just wood

So this is the beginning:

Oct 1, I was doing such a great job repairing a very old 3 drawer chest for the bathroom. I had leveled it, given it new sides, repaired all the drawers and drawer bottoms, and all that is left are the drawer supports. (Yes, I did just change tenses in mid sentence.) I was making the 2 supports, that were not salvageable, using the table saw, to cut them to the proper thickness. What I did not do, was lower the blade on the saw. Training comes at a high price sometimes. FYI there is never any reason for the blade of a table saw to be higher than the wood you are cutting. Anyway, I was using a push block to make sure my hand was not to be hurt. I lifted the block and in milliseconds the blade ripped the block out of my hand and yanked my index and middle fingers into it.

Instinctively I grabbed my hand and thought "Dear God, what have I done, I was no where close, I Just Cut My Fingers, I JUST CUT MY FINGERS WITH A TABLE SAW!" I opened my hand and looked, the fingernail on my index finger was bending the wrong way. I began to yell, "Help me, help me,"
I went to my neighbors. Not Home. I looked around the neighborhood, no one was home.
Then it occurred to me: standing in my driveway yelling was not helping.

So I began exploring options, I could call someone and wait.
I did not want to wait, and how was I supposed to dial the phone?
Besides, I could be half way to the ER by the time anyone could get to me.

"So, What are you supposed to go when you cut off a finger?" I asked myself. Put it in ice, right?
I went into the kitchen pulled a small Ice chest off the top of the freezer, put in ice, then my hand, then ice. Grabbing my keys I ran to the car. I told myself I would have to calm down if I was going to drive and be rational What if I don't have all the pieces of my finger? I thought.

I went back into the garage looking for finger and was amazed, there wasn't but 2 drops of blood, literally. Crap, now I was going to have to look at my fingers, I Really didn't want to, but I had to make sure I still had them both.

Opening my hand I saw that my fingers were filleted. But, I saw two nails and two pads. This calmed me down, at least I hadn't cut them completely off. I got in my standard shift car and remembered I had no gas, NO GAS. So faith got me to the ER going 80 in 45 zones, passing someone in the turn lane, and no-one taking notice of my hazard lights.
I kept telling my self, It's all there, they just need to sew me back up. Right?. . .

More

No comments: