Saturday, August 05, 2006

Rock and a hard place

It's the proverbial rock and hard place. I must say, if I would learn to keep my mouth shut I wouldn't have nearly so much to concern myself with.

Thus the rock:
I was at a staff meeting and my boss asks "So what do ya'll think about E-tools" the room becomes a buzz with "I love ... It's great when ... My members just adore ... " and me totally in awe of the whole situation. You really must understand you can hardly navigate this web site, even entering a search is abnormal. So (keep in mind she asked what we thought) I said "I just plain don't like it" figuring there would be at least one other person that would feel the same way. There wasn't, and I got the idea immediately that she really didn't want to know what we thought. She proceeded to go into how we are going to be expected to push this part of the program and we all need to get more familiar with E-tools.

So, the hard place:
I get an email from my boss that there will be a contest to see who can locate 14 things on this medieval site and if your correct you will be in a prize drawing. Now this is not mandatory thank goodness but I try it out any way to make a few brownie points. After an hour and a half of 3 questions I was done. Now I hate the stupid E-tools even more! I don't think this was the desired result. I couldn't help but think that growing my disinterest into hatred was not a good idea. But I opened my mouth at staff meeting. Am I vane or will my boss be watching and waiting to see if I (me specifically) did the exercise or not?

So here is my miff with the whole thing:
Too many people ask questions that they don't really want the answer to. Are we afraid of the truth or do we not prepare for it. Are we just naive and think that every one thinks exactly the same way we do. When will I learn all the canned answers for all the stupid questions people really don't want answers to.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Yes too often questions are asked that people do not really want the answer to, it is merely a stepping point to their next topic of conversation.