Wednesday, August 09, 2006

It's My Birthday!

Yesterday was "that day" for me. The day when most people stop counting how old they are with numbers and begin the word problems. For example:
Emily is celebrating the first anniversary of the day she turned 29. How old is Emily
-or-
the 9th anniversary of her 21st.
-or-
The ratio of life lived to life left is <1/3

The posiblities are endless. I don't think this will be my course of action. Word problems confuse me anyway. I have been surprized how it has all hit, 2 months ago I got really excited, I began answering the "how old are you" question with "Almost 30!" Then this week as I told Tim he was approching his last chance to make out with a girl in her twenty's, I began to ponder 30 more like the way normal people do "am I losing my youth?"

Embracing age has never been a problem for me. There were too many Dr's and such that said I wouldn't have any age to embrace. So I suppose it is that part of me that sits here the day after and thinks of a word problem that goes more like this:

Emily is 1/3 of the way to 90yrs. She has learned in that 1/3, more than she could hope to learn in the next 2/3, She has accomplished less inthat 1/3, than she will by default accomplish in the next 2/3, And she is growing closer to her home with each passing day.

So what I am looking forward to in the next 2/3 (pending of course that I have 2/3 left)?

I am looking forward to learning the Spirit's path. Especialy how to listen to it, and follow with blind faith. I am looking forward to learning love. How to love, and how to accept love. How to recognize love from others when it does not look the way mine would. How to give love to others who do not love the way I do. All, I think are quite lofty goals for 60 yrs.

Mostly however, I look forward to Tim. I have 1/3 (roughly) of my 30 years with my beloved Tim. I already can't tell where he stops and I start, I don't remember a time without him and I have only known him 1/3 of my life, yet I learn more about him every day. I am looking forward to turning that ratio on it's head. so ask me what it's like on my 60th birthday when I will have only spent 1/3 of my life without him. God grows us closer every day, that, I am very much looking forward to

So, 30 feels good. It is, at least for me, one of those default accomplishments I could have never made at 29 no matter how hard I tried.

1 comment:

Karen said...

So well put, Emily. I'm looking forward to reading more of your thoughts.