Monday, August 07, 2006

Men at Work

It's a funny thing, Men at work. Right now we are having our sewer re routed. Exciting, I know, but it is something we have been needing to do for about two years now. Although I am glad to get it done I feel trapped. Yep, that's it just trapped. OK trapped and a little anxious. We usually tackle enormous projects like this, by ourselves, with no help, no experience and no knowledge of what we're doing. So to leave it up to the professionals just makes me nervous. We considered tackling this by ourselves. Anyone can dig a hole, right? We have friends with machinery.

Today, I will sit and "supervise" (from the front bedroom) until I can no longer go to the bathroom then I will leave, but I will still feel anxious... and trapped. I will feel like I have to get back home because I am the homeowner and I have to make any unforseen decisions. That's the man's job. Yes this was supposed to be done last week when the man was home. Today is his first day back at his real job. If it wasn't for those people with the slab leaks it would have been done last Thursday, darn plumbing emergencies. So I find myself opening blinds to look out and wondering what it's like out there, and trapped. Probably not nearly so much as the dog however. They are doing exactly what Nestle has dreamed of her whole life: Digging up the entire back yard! And she can't help or watch or study technique, or go potty, or leave. So I suppose I have a cell mate.

Tonight the project will be completed and waiting for inspection. Tomorrow the long deep hole will be filled in and the plumbers will take an enormous amount of money from me. All that will be left is figuring out a way to keep Nestle from digging it up again. Why aren't there professionals for that?

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

It is so funny to hear you say that it makes you nervous to leave it to the professionals, it is usually the other way around.

Emily said...

It's me really Tim is innocent. I figure if they can do it so can I. Thus the master bathroom. Yes I will definately have to blog abuout that soon.