Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Work

Start from the beginning

I was so looking forward to going back to my measly little 2 meeting per week job as a discussion leader. A co-worker had been covering my 2 meetings each week for me and I had been out 4 and a half weeks. I was to have surgery on Tuesday to cut the graft away and seal the incisions in my finger and breast. I was determined to go back to work the next night for 2 hours. Tim tried to talk me through all the senarios and make sure I was thinking clearly but still, although it was surgery it really came down to stiches and I had felt well enough to work after the last surgery so I felt it would be safe to go back to work, and It would have been.

I was doing my planning on Monday night so that it would be done before my "cut-away" surgery when I got a call from my boss. An hour went by on the phone with her thinking thoughts like "What more can this accident take away from me" and some thoughts I said out loud "It sounds like I cut my finger off so your taking my meeting away" I didn't understand, and still don't. In an effort to get a grasp I sat down and wrote, but only ended up with a list of contradictions that she made in her argument to demote me. Tears Fell. But in the end the result was the same I would not return to work that Wednesday or any more Wednesdays in the future. My job had been cut in half.

Our conversation ended with my insistence that my members know it was not my decision not to come back. I was terrified to think that they would feel abandoned. I learned later that her promise to do so was not honored.

More

No comments: