Wednesday, October 01, 2008

looking at a hand

Start at the beginning

One takes for granted that they will always have ten fingers and toes if they are born with them.

After surgery it was the first dead on view. This was my 'new' hand and would have to become regular. I had prepared my self a lot for what it would look like and Tim had taken pictures to show me what was happening through out the graft process, so I had an idea. We even sent one of the pics along with "ode to a finger" to Daddy for Halloween - super creepy. The stitches had been removed and it no longer needed a band-aid, it was as well as it would get and out there. Naked. Exposed. It was longer than what I thought it would be, at least something to be glad about. Dr. W, had kept his promise. Still, I wanted to cover it up. I even made it a hat. That didn't last long, it just drew attention. I still couldn't move either finger in the first two joints and not very well in the knuckle. So it felt like it just stuck out there for anyone to look at. I knew it wasn't that bad or noticeable but I still felt exposed.

My middle finger had stitches and so did my boob and it came time, soon after surgery, that we had to change more bandages.

In that I was taken aback.

More

No comments: