Wednesday, October 01, 2008

More stupid people

Start at the beginning

I wish the world could grasp the idea of being truthful. All abnormality draws some kind of attention. Children stare; seriously though that is so much more honest that adults that try to sneak peaks.

I needed to go and be normal. A place to be loved beyond appearance a place to become comfortable before going "public" with my new hand. No one had seen the amputation and It was out there now no more bandages It was what it is, abnormal. I was getting ready to go to Abilene for a weekend to see my parents and get away. I needed to be alone, get used to it, and learn what it would be like in public around strangers before I dealt with friends. First, however Tim and I were going to have date night and drop off some cookware left from a friend who had brought us dinner.

She answered the door and immediately started a new version of the all familiar "boob glance."
You know back in high school when the guys are really trying to look you in the face but their eyes just can't stay there. It's like you can read their mind:
Stop looking at her boobs,
but they're so nice,
Stop it,
but they're big and round,
Stop she'll notice,
But I really like them
STOP

I want to touch...
NOOOO!!!

That is what this was like, except that the distance from eyes to hand is far greater than from eyes to boob so as she was glancing back and forth at my new finger it was insanely obvious!I wanted to hold it out there and say Just tell me when you're done so you can focus on our conversation but I didn't.

Seriously, what is so hard about saying "can I see it?" Then you can say something sympathetic and avoid looking stupid and I don't feel nearly as much like a freak and everything goes back to normal so much quicker.

More

No comments: