Thursday, May 10, 2007

What was I thinking

Have you ever started a project and thought "I can do that, a challenge maybe but it'll be fun" only to come to your senses half way through, when you are in too deep to turn back and have no idea where to go next? yup, that's where I am. A humbling place actually. We all need those now and again but do they always have to come up next to deadlines?

I am working on a dress that I bought, strapless. Your right I wouldn't be caught dead in a strapless anything. It all started because a good friend of mine (we'll call her Jane) has one almost exactly the same. I have always loved that dress! She has one of those short little jackets she wears with hers (the kind whose sleeves are it's only purpose) and she is adorable. So there I was in the store minding my own business when it leaped off the rack into my arms and struck up a conversation.
"Don't you wonder what you would look like in Jane's dress?" it said
"Well actually yes, but..,"
"then try me on!"
"what would be the purpose..."
" You don't have to purchase, Just try on"
"Your sleeveless"
"I'm cute"
'Your too small"
"you don't know that"
"Your boobs aren't big enough"
"Your not going to take me home remember. In, Out, Your done" This was a very pushy dress, I had to appease it, I didn't want it calling me from the store later on. So I took it to the dressing room.

I tried to stay in control of the situation, reminding myself that this was just to prove to myself that I could be as cute as Jane if only they would make dresses that my boobs would zip up in... "wow It might zip further than I expected... is zipping further than I expe... I zipped it! all the way! could this possibly be happening?" As I looked in the mirror I thought "I'm as cute as Jane, this is fun" I basked in the glory for a minute and reminded myself that I was still wearing a bra, they don't even make strapless ones in my size even if I did have a pair of sleeves (absolutely necessary) no wonder it was still there. I hung it back up as it whispered, "I'm Cheap"

Yes, those are the magic words but I was firm I took it to the lady (noticing they had two in my size) and I left the building. So why am I telling you about a dress I didn't buy?

It began calling me at home. I tried to ignore it. I told Tim I tried on this dress for kicks, isn't that funny ha ha! He asked why I didn't get it. Are you kidding? I reminded him of the strapless part, the 'Emily is constantly frozen' part, and the bra dilemma. He reminded me that I am a Tailor, and we did have an anniversary trip coming up.

I bought the dress. Jane even came and saw it. But it would have to have a bra, straps, and sleeves in 2 weeks time.

I have worked on this stupid dress for 2 weeks! It will not be going with us on the trip. However, Tim is leaving on a 2 week trip for the mountains, maybe by then.

In the mean time remind me next time that I don't really like doing my own alterations.



The rest of the story

No comments: